Southern Swing Volleyball Club was founded in 2006 for the purpose of providing young ladies in Victoria and the surrounding areas with the opportunity to participate in the sport of volleyball at a competitive level separate and apart from their local school programs. Of even greater importance is developing players with positive attitudes and solid characters that will be successful not only in volleyball but in whatever they choose to undertake as young adults. As a result, our coaches and those working with our athletes are carefully chosen to support these goals. We truly believe that the behavior of our coaches should be exemplary in order to demand the same of our players. We extend that same expectation to our parents and volunteers as they work to support and develop these young athletes.
What Programs Does Southern Swing Offer?
Junior Olympic Volleyball is informally known as Club Volleyball or “Club”. It is an organized, nation-wide system sanctioned by USA Volleyball that gives young athletes the ability to receive advanced training and compete at a high level outside of their school seasons. In addition, players benefit from the opportunity for exposure to college coaches and potential scholarship opportunities for those that desire to pursue them.
Southern Swing operates under the Lone Star Region of USA Volleyball and supports Club volleyball teams for girls ages 11 through 18. Try-outs for these teams are typically held in September of each year and are conducted by age division with team selections being made based on skill level, playing experience and positions needed. Practices for the Club season begin in November and continue through March or April when the scheduled Club season ends. Club teams will participate in weekend tournaments in the surrounding region (i.e. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Seguin, etc.) including both one-day and overnight events. In addition to these out-of-town tournaments, Southern Swing also hosts USAV sanctioned tournaments in Victoria for all age divisions.
Girls participating in our Club programs will experience a high level of play in a competitive environment and will have the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in their age divisions from around the state. For more information about our Club program and travel teams go to “Club Info” in the main menu bar above.
Southern Swing offers a variety of programs outside of the Club volleyball environment that are open to all athletes regardless of their skill level or club affiliation. Girls in grades K through 12 will find opportunities to make new friends, improve their skills and stay competitive throughout the year by participating in any or all of these programs. There’s something for everyone!
The Rising Stars program is open to girls in grades 3 through 8. It is designed for players that are not quite ready for the commitment of a traveling club team but want to participate in an extensive, structured training program that allows them to improve their skills while staying active in the sport with a designated coach and team over a period of several months.
Rising Stars combines several of Southern Swing’s other programs into one package and is offered in three sessions throughout the year as follows:
- Session 1 – Includes 4 weeks of developmental training in September and 4 weeks of Fall League (including weekly practices and games) in October.
- Session 2 – Includes 4 weeks of developmental training in January and 4 weeks of Spring League (including weekly practices and games) in February/March.
- Session 3 – Includes the July session of Summer League (including weekly practices and games) and a half-day camp just for Rising Stars participants.
Rising Stars athletes will stay together as a team and work with a designated coach throughout each session of the program. Each of the individual programs included in Rising stars may also be registered for separately as well; however, this program gives athletes the added benefits of weekly practices during all leagues as well as a convenient one-time registration and combined registration fee.
There is no try-out required to participate in the Rising Stars program. Girls simply sign up and are assigned to a team by Southern Swing staff. For additional information about this program, go to “Rising Stars” on the “Programs” tab on the main menu above.
Southern Swing hosts three different leagues during the year for various age groups that give players an inexpensive means of keeping their hand on the ball and improving their skills in a structured, competitive setting. Players should register as teams with their own coaches. Individual registrations are accepted and we will do our best to place these athletes on teams but there is no guarantee that we will be able to do so. No practices are scheduled by Southern Swing for teams participating in leagues. Paid officials are provided.
- Spring League – Takes place in February, March & April each year and is open to girls in grades 3 through 12 in four different divisions (Youth, Middle School, Sub-Varsity & Varsity). For additional details and registration information, go to “Spring League” under “Programs” on the main menu above.
- Summer League – Takes place in June and July each year and is open to girls in grades 3 through 12 in four different divisions (Youth, Middle School, Sub-Varsity & Varsity). Southern Swing also hosts an Adult Co-Ed 4 on 4 division and an Adult Women’s 4 on 4 division during its Summer League for players age 18 and older who are no longer in high school. For additional details and registration information, go to “Summer League” under “Programs” on the main menu above.
- Fall League – Takes place in October each year and is open to girls in grades 3 through 8. Southern Swing also hosts an adult Women’s 4 on 4 division during its Fall League for women 18 and older who are no longer in high school. For additional details and registration information, go to “Fall League” under “Programs” on the main menu above.
Southern Swing offers a variety of camps and training sessions during the year for both teams and individuals in grades K through 12. These sessions are designed to help develop basic skills or to sharpen and improve specific skills and/or positions. For additional details and registration information go to “Camps” under “Programs” on the main menu above.
The annual Summer Camp Series takes place in July and August each summer and consist of one or two-day sessions for girls entering grades K through 12. These camp sessions are available to all athletes regardless of experience or club affiliation. Summer camp sessions include:
- High School Hitting/Setting
- High School Defense
- Middle School All Skills
- Middle School Hitting/Setting
- Middle Defense/Passing
- Middle School Serving
- Youth Basic Training Camp
- Youth Serving
- Volley-Small Camp
Christmas Camp offers a fun, half-day camp format in late November/early December and is designed for girls in grades 3 through 8. While this camp offers instruction in fundamental team and individual skills, it is all done in a more relaxed environment that includes creative games and other activities that will help get everyone in the holiday spirit!
Open gyms are held periodically throughout the year to give players an opportunity to participate in a short, informal training sessions that includes organized drills, games and plenty of free time to enjoy.
Southern Swing Volleyball Association, Inc. is a non-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.